Monday, September 05, 2005

An Email To Andrew Sullivan

"Andrew,

You write:

[Bush's] nomination of Roberts for Chief Justice seems like a strange gamble for me. Someone who has not yet been on the Court should now be leading it? I know there are precedents, but this strikes me as a way to buy time.

Bush's nomiation of a newcomer like Roberts to be Chief Justice is anything but strange -- of the 16 Chief Justices that have served since 1789, 13 have been selected from outside the Supreme Court -- meaning that 81% of Chief Justices were "someone who [had] not yet been on the Court." (03/2005 Denis Steven Rutkus and Lorraine Tong, The Chief Justice of the United States: Responsibilities of the Office and Process for Appointment, CRS Report for Congress, link here)

You dismiss this fact so blithely that I wonder if you even bothered to check and see how many sitting justices were elevated to Chief before you posted the quoted remark, which qualifies more as a "strange gamble" than the Roberts nomination.


-- Michael Lichtenstein

1 Comments:

At 9/18/2005 10:17 PM, Blogger Zach said...

When I heard he was being put up for Chief, I thought "huh?" About 20 seconds of research made it clear that there was no historical precedent for my doubt. You'd think Andy Sullivan would have hit up wikipedia as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home